Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Computer Crash Woes

I was quite surprised today, when I started my 6 week old laptop and Windows check disk came on. The program when through its fits and starts, and told me that I had corrupt files and bad sectors on my hard disk...yuk! I never expected to have this kind of problem on a brand new computer. Since I am a bit of a geek, I thought maybe I could use the system restore in case my problems were software related. System restore couldn't roll back to any earlier restore points. I thought this was strange, and went to a more drastic measures by using system recovery. This wiped out all the software I installed, but was nice enough to save my data files. Alas, even this drastic measure did not solve my problems. Now to see if I can return my computer to Costco, or else I have to deal with a warranty repair with hp.

I learned an important lesson today...back up your files! There are many methods to back up files, some are formal controlled by software and some more low tech like burning files to CD on a regular basis. Given this experience and the importance of these files for my business, I am going to explore the more formal route. I will let you know what I find out in a future entry.

No comments: