Sunday, August 06, 2006

It begins....

I thought it might be interesting to share my experiences in starting an international analytic consulting company. After working in corporate America for over 16 years, I felt it was time to strike out and be able to do my own thing. Life at times in the corporate world was bordering on a Dilbert cartoon. I look forward to sharing some of these experiences in future entries. I would also love to hear your experiences as well. If you are interested in learning more about my company, please check out our web site:

www.zelcomgroup.com

They say variety is the spice of life...
We have been in business for only 4 months, and in this short period of time I created a business plan, set up a web site, am negotiating partnerships with companies in India and Canada, presented our business plan to investors, and built out a significant business pipeline. Never mind setting up new phone systems, buying a new server, and finding office space. I must say, there is more variety in this owning your own business thing than in corporate life. So far, the experience has been great!

It is my hope that this blog will benefit those who are going down similar roads with their own business. In future posts, I will update you with the lessons I have learned as we continue to build our business. I may also ask for advice from those of you who have already been on the roads we are approaching.

I look forward to reading and sharing your comments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob,

I am thinking of starting my own company, what should be my first step? Your input would be appreciated.

Rob Z said...

There is nothing more important than creating a good business plan. Going through the process of creating the plan will help you refine your business model and give you a good indication of the resources you will need to start your business. We actually used software to help guide the creation of our plan, but there are other resources on-line to help you as well as good books that give you examples of plans for various industries.